Regina Silva is a senior associate who works primarily in Cook Brown's Santa Ana office while also maintaining clients in the firm’s Salinas office. Ms. Silva represents management in all aspects of labor relations and employment law with a specialty area in preventative counseling for clients. She has extensive experience in traditional labor law matters, including contract negotiations, election issues, grievance procedures, representation issues and arbitrations, and regularly appears before the National Labor Relations Board.
Ms. Silva's experience in representing management in federal and state courts in employment litigation such as wrongful termination, harassment, and wage/hour class actions has led to a large number of successfully litigated matters up to and through jury verdict. She regularly authors articles for employer organizations on both emerging and traditional employment and labor topics.
Prior to joining the firm, she worked for a national employment and labor firm representing management primarily in the hospitality industry, and for the San Diego City Attorney’s Office in the employment and labor advisory group. Before she worked as an employment attorney, Ms. Silva was a prosecutor for the California Attorney General’s Office, and for the Sacramento District Attorney’s Office.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Employment discrimination, sexual harassment, wage and hour matters, labor negotiations and representative matters, employment policies/handbooks and contracts, litigation preventative counseling, health and safety, and prevailing wage.
Agricultural, manufacturing, contractors and subcontractors, retail, hospitality, logistics, government, residential facilities, and non-profits
- Successfully defended (as first chair), before a Los Angeles County jury, a large corporation in a harassment/discrimination lawsuit brought by two former employees. In addition, prevailed on motion for attorney’s fees/costs against the Plaintiffs
- Prevailed on motion for summary judgment before state court in age discrimination case; on appeal, Appellate Court sustained dismissal of case by state court
- Negotiated favorable settlements in multiple wage and hour multi-million dollar class actions filed in both state and federal courts
- Helped employers prevail in union representation elections
- Negotiated favorable collective bargaining agreements on behalf of larger companies and government agencies
SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS AND ARTICLES
- Conducts regular sexual harassment prevention trainings for several clients
- Publishes articles on a monthly basis for Farm Employers Labor Service
PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC
- Member, Orange County Labor & Employment Relations Research Associations
- Member, Litigation Section of California State Bar
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, La Raza Lawyers
- Member, California Minority Counsel Program
- Member, Farm Employers Labor Service
Ms. Silva is a graduate of the University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law. As a law student, she clerked for the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Sacramento where she was responsible for misdemeanor cases. Ms. Silva received her Bachelor of Arts degree in political science from the University of California, Berkeley.
Ms. Silva is licensed to practice before all California states courts, the United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, and all U.S. District Courts in the State of California.
Cook Brown LLP
1851 E. First Street,
Santa Ana, CA 92705
Phone: (714) 542-1883
Fax: (714) 542-1009